Our Mission: Making Maine better for bicycling and walking
Maine is a place where bicycling and walking are safe, supported, widespread activities enjoyed by residents and visitors of all ages. Maine is renowned for bicycling and walking!
Values and Beliefs:
- Bicycling and walking are fun lifelong activities that should be accessible to everyone.
- The Coalition seeks and values the views of all people who bicycle and walk in Maine.
- Maine’s communities, health, economy and environmental sustainability are improved by bicycling and walking.
- Bicycling and walking are essential modes of transportation.
- Roadways and trails can be safe for all users with appropriate design, timely maintenance, effective policy and equitable law enforcement.
- Bicyclists, pedestrians and motorists deserve mutual respect.
- Bicycling and walking merit cultural, financial and political support.
- All Mainers and our visitors need to be educated about the laws that govern bicycling, walking and driving.
- Maine‘s beautiful geography presents extraordinary opportunities for bicycling and walking, both on and off road, that should be celebrated, preserved and expanded.
- Infrastructure: Increase safe, accessible and inviting bicycle and pedestrian infrastructure throughout Maine.
- Advocacy: Provide leadership and inspire activism for effective policies, programs and projects that have a positive impact on bicycling and walking in Maine.
- Education: Ensure that Maine bicyclists, pedestrians and motorists have the knowledge and skills to safely share the road.
- Encouragement: Encourage new bicyclists and seasoned enthusiasts through a range of traditional and innovative rides and events.
- Enforcement: Strengthen enforcement of bicycle and pedestrian law through expanded education and training with Maine law enforcement officers, attorneys and prosecutors.
- Reputation: Elevate Maine’s reputation as a bicycle and pedestrian friendly state and an extraordinary bicycling and walking tourism destination.
- Leadership: Advance the Coalition’s role and growth as the leading organization making Maine better for bicycling and walking.