Tap Into a Growing Tourism Market by Making Your Business Bicycle-Friendly!
Did you know that 3 out of 4 people own a bicycle and that bicycles tourists spend 20 percent more on average than other tourists?
The Bicycle Coalition of Maine’s Bicycles WelcoME training and certification program is dedicated to making businesses more inviting to visitors and customers on bicycles, whether they are locals on a lunch ride or visitors on a vacation tour.
Each business may offer a different set of bicycle-friendly services, but all are united by a common appreciation of the value of bicycle riding customers. The program does not try to turn every business into a bike shop, but rather to find ways that each business can provide service at a level that makes sense for them and the kind of business they are in. Simply by offering snacks, water, bathrooms and area information, a tourist related business can become a valued and loyal friend to bicyclists.
For questions about the upcoming Bicycles WelcoME training, please email Kim at Kim@bikemaine.org.
Thanks to the generosity of Franklin Savings Bank, the Bicycle Coalition of Maine is able to offer several FREE Bicycles WelcoME training sessions this season to businesses in the BikeMaine 2017 High Peaks region. Bicycles WelcoME offers insight into what sets bicycle riders apart from other market segments, and how you can tap into their enthusiasm for the sport to attract and hold their business.
The training is intended for tourism related businesses that offer services to visitors. To be eligible for Bicycles WelcoME certification, a business must have a physical location in Maine, be open to the public, and have hours of operation clearly posted at the location and/or on line. A business must also offer at least 4 services or amenties from an approved list. A lodging business must provide secure and dry bike parking for overnight guests.
The training features extended Q&A sessions, with topics including
- The Economics of Bicycle Tourism
- Types of Bicycle Tourism
- The Demographics of Bicycle Tourists
- How to Attract and Keep Bicycle Tourists as Customers
- What You Can Do to Become a Bicycles WelcoME Business
Bicycles WelcoME certification is about recognizing and serving the needs of bicycle riders at a level that makes sense for your business, in order to help your business attract and keep this valuable market.
Upon successfully completing Bicycles WelcoME, you will receive:
- 11×14” coroplastic Bicycles WelcoME sign with custom icons indicating up to five separate services helpful to bicycle riders (e.g. bathrooms, free water, secure parking);
- A “Bicycles WelcoME” Window decal;
- Inclusion of your bicycle friendly businesses on a map on the Bicycle Coalition of Maine website;
- $50 off your first annual business membership to the Bicycle Coalition of Maine; and
- Access to reduced-cost Bicycles WelcoME toolkit, which include a tire pump, basic tools, and a few common-sized bicycle tubes.
Bicycles WelcoME Businesses
View Bicycles WelcoME in a full screen map.