About Bicycles WelcoME
Did you know that 3 out of 4 people own a bicycle and that bicycles tourists spend 20% more on average than other tourists?
The Coalition’s Bicycles WelcoME training and certification program is dedicated to making businesses more inviting to visitors and customers on bicycles, whether they are locals on a lunch ride or visitors on a vacation tour.
Each business may offer a different set of bicycle-friendly services, but all are united by a common appreciation of the value of bicycle riding customers. The program does not try to turn every business into a bike shop, but rather, to find ways that each business can provide service at a level that makes sense for them and the kind of business they are. Whether the business is offering snacks and water or bathrooms and area information, these small services can make a big difference to a customer on a bicycle.
Oct 4, 2-4, Mano y Mano, 2 Maple St Milbridge ME
Oct. 5, 10-12, Machias Career Center, 53 Prescott St, Machias
Oct. 5, 2-4 at Eastport Welcome Center, 141 Water St, Eastport.
Trainings are held for owners and managers who would like their business to become certified Bicycles WelcoME locations. More than a tourism training, the Bicycles WelcoME certification session is an interactive presentation that offers insight into what sets bicycle riders apart from other market segments, why they are “better” customers and how you can tap into their enthusiasm for the sport to attract and hold their business.
The training features extended Q&A sessions, with topics including:
- Attributes of Active Recreation Tourists
- The Economics of Bicycle Tourism
- Types of Bicycle Tourism
- The Demographics of Bicycle Tourists
- Getting to Know More About Bicycle Riders
- What You Can Do to Become a Bicycles WelcoME! Business
In 2016, Bicycles WelcoME Trainings will be held in Washington and Hancock Counties.
Businesses that participate in the Bicycles WelcoME program in 2016 will receive the following benefits from the Bicycle Coalition of Maine:
- A one year complimentary business membership to the Bicycle Coalition of Maine
- A Bicycles WelcoME Static Window decal
- Two 8×11 coroplastic “Bicycles WelcoME” signs with custom icons indicating up to 5 separate services helpful to bicycle riders (e.g. bathrooms, free water, secure parking)
- Access to reduced cost “Bicycles WelcoME” toolkits which include a pump, some basic tools and a few common-sized bicycle tubes.
- Inclusion on a map on the Bicycle Coalition of Maine website
Bicycles WelcoME Businesses
View Bicycle Coalition of Maine – Community Spokes in a full screen map