National Bike Month Events in Maine
May is National Bike Month! We’ll be celebrating all over the state with a number of events.
- May 7th – Bangor Walk N Roll & Bangor Police Department Hosting a Bike Rodeo
- May 7th – Bangor Police Department Hosting a Bike Auction (taking place across from 30 Summer Street)
- May 14th – Oxford County Moves Second Annual Roads Are For Everyone Bike Ride
- May 18th – Brunswick Ride of Silence (organized by Victor Langelo and the Merrymeeting Wheelers Bicycle Club)
- Bicycle Coalition of Maine Volunteer Appreciation Happy Hour at Arcadia National Bar! We’ll have $4 pours and free pinball!
- May 20th, 5-8pm – Beers and Gears Bike Night with Valet Bike Parking at the Portland Museum of Art to celebrate Bike to Work Day. (the Bicycle Coalition of Maine and the Portland Museum of Art are partnering to organize this event.)
- May 20th – Lewiston Bike Commuter Challenge and Bike To Work Day events (Organized by Rainbow Bike and the Maine Cycling Club, Challenge led by Bob Rand)
- Portland Maine Bicycle Commuters, Portland Trails, and the City of Portland will host a Bike to Work Day event in Portland from 7:30-10:00 am in Monument Square on Friday, May 20.
- Lunar Cycling Bangor Hosting a Slow Ride – May 20th or 21st.
- May 22nd – Portland Bike/Ped Committee hosts ‘Sundays on the Boulevard’ event
National Bike to School Day on May 4th. Register your event with the Maine Safe Routes to School Program to get promotional materials and incentives to support your event. Here is a list of bike/walk to school events happening in May:
- Auburn, The Walton School – Walk to School Day on May 4
- Bangor, The Downeast School – Daily Walking School Bus to school starting April 25
- Brunswick – Harriet Beecher Stowe Elementary School – Monthly Walk & Bike to School Days through the year
- Cape Elizabeth – Pond Cove Elementary School – National Bike to School Day event on May 4
- Ellsworth Elementary Middle School – K-12 Walk to School Day on May 4, Bike Rodeo in May & daily Walking School Bus on one route to school
- Gorham, Village Elementary School – Walk to School Wednesdays
- Lewiston – Geiger Elementary School – Bike to School Day on May 4
- Norway, Guy E. Rowe Elementary School – Daily Walking School Bus on one route to school
- Portland, East End Community School – Daily Walking School Bus on two routes to school
- Scarborough Middle School – Bike & Walk to School Day on May 4
- South Portland, Memorial Middle School – Walk & Bike to School Day on May 4
- Topsham – Woodside Elementary School – Holding weekly Walk & Bike to School Days on Thursdays this spring; All-School Walking School Bus on June 2
- Warren Community School – Walk to School Fridays this Spring
- York, Village Elementary – Weekly Walk to School Days on Wednesdays all spring
A number of bicycle education rodeos will be taking place in May.
- 5/7 (rain 5/14), Bangor (10-noon) – Walk and Roll @ Unlimited Solutions Clubhouse
- 5/14/2016, Ellsworth – Ellsworth Elementary Middle School
- 5/15/2016, Lewiston & New Gloucester (10-12 & 2-4) – Dempsey Challenge @ Norway Savings Bank Arena & Pineland YMCA
- 5/21/2016, Waterville (9-11am) – South End Neighborhood Association
- 5/21/2016, Guilford (10-noon) – Guilford Elementary School
- 5/22/2016, Portland (11-1pm) – Ocean Avenue Elementary School
- 5/28/2016, Deer Isle (2-4pm) – Deer Isle Stonington Elementary School
- 5/28/2016, South Portland (10-noon) – Kaler Elementary School