The Bicycle Coalition of Maine is one of the most effective bicycle and pedestrian advocacy groups in the country. Since its founding in 1992, the Bicycle Coalition has helped to improve bike safety education, advocate for better bike laws, increase funding for bike trails and other biking infrastructure, support safe streets and sidewalks for all users, and open more areas for cycling.
Located in Portland, Maine, we seek a talented, passionate, experienced communications and development professional to become our first Director of Mission Advancement. You should have 5+ years of fundraising and communications experience, a bachelor’s degree, an outgoing and energetic personality, and the ability to tell the story of what the Bicycle Coalition does and why it is important.
As part of our senior leadership team, you will develop, guide and lead our fundraising and communications efforts. We have built a community of cyclists and pedestrians who support our mission through membership. In addition to retaining our current membership base, you will be expected to broaden our appeal by engaging younger and newer riders using all types of bicycles, and pedestrians, in both our rural and urban areas.
You will be a valued and integral member of our organization. If you have ever wanted to create and lead your own Mission Advancement office here’s your chance! Our work environment is collaborative, friendly, flexible and welcoming. Our office is located in a dynamic and fun part of Portland, but the job is statewide, so you will work in all parts of this beautiful state. If you love biking and walking like we do, we are excited to hear from you.
If you would like to know more about this position, please follow this application process:
- Please read the job description and if you feel you are qualified then;
- Submit your resume, salary requirements and cover letter by email or mail to our search consultant no later than Friday, November 30th:
10 Chestnut Street
Exeter, NH 03833
Bicycle Coalition of Maine Advancement Director
Advancement Director Job Description: Full time, exempt, 40 hours/week, plus 4-5 weekends and BikeMaine week.
Reports to: Executive Director
Direct Reports: Communications Coordinator, Membership Coordinator/Office Manager
Liaison to: Membership and Development Committee of the Board
The Bicycle Coalition of Maine’s (BCM) Advancement Director will spearhead development and communication efforts to maintain and grow its support base. The Director will be responsible for developing and managing strategy that advances the organization by:
- Communicating about its work and achievements;
- Recruiting and retaining its members at all levels;
- Engaging major donors, foundations, and corporations in its mission;
- Building the visibility of the organization to grow its capacity.
The ideal candidate will have 5+ years of experience working in nonprofit fundraising, excellent written and oral communications, experience managing individuals and multiple projects simultaneously, and a passion for our mission to make Maine better for biking and walking.
Duties include the following areas, but are not limited to:
- Identify the financial needs of the organization that must be met by fundraising and incorporate those needs into the organization’s annual operating budget;
- Provide leadership for BCM as a member of the Leadership Team;
- Supervise the BCM Membership Coordinator/Office Manager and Communications Coordinator;
- Prepare, in consultation with the BCM Membership and Development Committee and Executive Director, a comprehensive annual development and communications plan, including timelines, goals, and budget requirements;
- Provide ongoing inspiration, support, resources and training in fundraising to the Board and staff;
- Serve as staff liaison for the Membership & Development Committee of the Board.
- Manage the execution of the annual development and communication plan.
- Build a plan for major donor cultivation, membership retention, and increase in total member entities and membership income. Train and work with entire board of directors to fulfill this plan;
- Manage the portfolio of donor prospects, including identifying, researching, qualifying, cultivating and soliciting gifts from individuals, corporations, and foundations;
- With event staff, develop and execute a comprehensive strategy for sponsorship solicitation and relationship development through events;
- Track key metrics, where success is measured by growth in contributor numbers, donor retention and dollars raised;
- With development and communications staff, prepare and send timely reminders for membership renewals and other fundraising opportunities;
- Routinely call members to build support and identify and address any concerns;
- Personally acknowledge contributors and the impact of their gifts.
- Support the Executive Director in major gift cultivation and solicitation efforts;
- Meet and establish relationships with top contributors;
- Play a leadership role in fundraising;
- Collaborate with the Executive Director to create individualized stewardship plans for top contributors, including customized donor reports and donor recognition;
- Effectively position/prepare the Executive Director and Board members for interactions with major contributors and prospects;
- With Executive Director and program managers, develop annual grant seeking and foundation relationship development plan, based on program needs and budget gaps. Manage plan and work with grant writer to submit applications and secure foundation funding.
- Supervise the development and communications staff for message management and effective use of the contributor database, moves management and other tools, including cause-related marketing and cultivation events;
- Develop communications plans and craft language for immediate media responses;
- Craft press releases and develop relationships with media contacts on behalf of BCM;
- Seek earned media opportunities to advertise BCM programs and activities;
- Improve and update BCM branding as appropriate;
- Ensure BCM website and donor management database are accurate and current;
- Evaluate the current donor management database and make recommendations on whether to shift to a new platform;
- Ensure timely posts to social media sites and email blasts to communicate coalition activities;
- Select and order branded merchandise to sell at events and at the office as a revenue stream and to promote BCM;
- Design BCM rack cards, posters, and other promotional material;
- Collaborate with other staff in the timely development of written communications such as annual appeals, direct mail and advertising.