First-Ever National Bike to School Day is May 9! Plan to Bicycle to School with Your Child!
New this spring is the first-ever National Bike to School Day Celebration, Wednesday, May 9th – part of 2012 National Bike Month and a wonderful addition to Maine’s Bicycle and Pedestrian Month! A newly designed national website, www.walkbiketoschool.org will be available with more information about Bike to School Day and new event planning resources and tools, including a GIS-powered walking and bicycling route mapping tool. A “Win a Bike Rack” contest is also being planned to help build excitement and encourage registration of local events for this inaugural celebration.
Start planning for Bike to School Day:
- Trade in and/or buy a bike at one of the Bicycle Coalition’s Bike Swaps: April 22, Orono or April 29, Portland
- Plan a Bike to School event with our newest resource, “Get on the Bike Train”, a guide to help you plan a biking experience with kids
- To be safe, know the “Rules of the Road” , and review “Be a Safe Bike Driver” with your child
- Organize a free Bicycle and Pedestrian Safety Presentation at your school
- Register your Bike to School Day event with the Maine Safe Routes to School Program and request safety incentives like bookmarks, stickers and posters
The Maine Safe Routes to School Program invites you to walk and/or bike to school all spring. Join the many communities and schools across Maine that plan walking and biking to school activities.
We hope to see you biking to school on May 9th!