The Bicycle Coalition of Maine’s success comes from the support of our members. Please join our efforts to improve bike safety, strengthen Maine’s bicycle laws, fund bike trails and other infrastructure, open up access for mountain biking and adopt bike-friendly policies. Together, we can make Maine better for bicycling.
Here are ways that you can help:
- If you’re not yet a member of the Bicycle Coalition of Maine, sign up today. Our newsletter and e-updates will keep you informed about legislation and other biking news.
- Contact your state legislators and congressional representatives and encourage them to vote in favor of the coalition’s legislative agenda. Your phone calls and e-mails can make a real difference.
- Attend public hearings and testify in favor of the coalition’s bills at the Maine Legislature.
- Report Maine roads that need minor bike repairs through the Spot ME program run jointly by the Bicycle Coalition and MaineDOT.
- Join the bicycle-pedestrian committee in your community – or start one. You can find out more about local advocacy through our Community Spokes program.
- Advocate for money to fund local biking improvements such as trails and paved bike lanes.
- Join efforts to increase access for mountain biking.
- Volunteer on local trail-building days.
- Participate in public meetings about road and bridge improvements in your community and speak up on behalf of cyclists.
- Encourage the children in your neighborhood to walk and bike to school.
- Join the coalition’s delegation to the National Bike Summit in Washington, D.C. and meet with Maine’s congressional delegation to discuss biking issues.
- Encourage your employer to support bike commuting by providing bike parking, showers and the federal bicycle commuter tax credit. Encourage your co-workers to try bike commuting.
- Be a good role model by obeying Maine’s biking laws.