For 25 years, the Bicycle Coalition of Maine has been the statewide voice of cyclists, leading the effort to make Maine better for biking and walking. From time to time, we’re seeking talented, committed individuals to join our growing team of professional bicycle and pedestrian advocates. Please see the individual job descriptions below.
Staff and Contract Positions
Office Manager & HR Specialist
The Bicycle Coalition of Maine seeks an energetic full-time Office Manager & HR Generalist to join its high performing team at its Portland headquarters. The Coalition is a fast-paced, statewide nonprofit organization that works to make Maine better for bicycling and walking–through legislation, advocacy, enforcement, education, and encouragement.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Supporting the Executive Director
- Office management: reception, answering the phone, processing mail, ordering supplies, overseeing office equipment, maintaining office organization
- Bookkeeping assistance to include processing checks, printing checks, filing invoices and receipts, making bank deposits, and communicating with the BCM’s accountant
- Maintaining membership database and online store
- Processing incoming membership renewals and new memberships, generating thank you letters, and orchestrating monthly membership renewal mailings
- Supporting HR operations including new employee background checks, onboarding, insurance, and records retention
- Administrative support to other full-time and part-time staff
- Assistance with supporting BCM’s major events, as well as other smaller events and meetings throughout the year
- Mailing educational materials to schools and instructors
- Managing the Coalition merchandise: inventory of merchandise, processing and shipping orders, ordering additional merchandise
The ideal candidate will be enthusiastic about making Maine better for bicycling and walking. Candidates should demonstrate exceptional communication and customer service skills, be organized and able to multitask, be a motivated self-starter as well as a team player, and have a strong desire to learn and grow in a professional environment.
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Strong customer/member service skills
- Ability to multi-task, manage multiple priorities, and take ownership of areas of responsibility
- Strong computer and internet literacy
- Maintain a current, valid driver’s license
- Ability to carry 40 lbs
- Proficiency in using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel), Google applications (Drive, Docs, Sheets) and databases
- Ability to follow both written and oral instructions
- Bachelor’s degree
- 1-2 years work experience in an office environment preferred
Salary Range: $35-40,000, commensurate with experience.
How to apply: Please send resume, cover letter, and names and contact information of 3 references to Liz Hall, Development Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org by January 7, 2018. Interviews will be held on Tuesday, January 16, 2018. Please hold this date open if you are applying for this position.
The Bicycle Coalition of Maine offers an array of opportunities for volunteers throughout the year. When you volunteer with us, you’re helping to make Maine better for bicycling and walking. You can volunteer to help with events such as:
- the Great Maine Bike Swap
- the Maine Women’s Ride
- the Maine Lobster Ride
- Valet Bicycle Parking
You can also volunteer in our Portland office. Email us for more details.