Bookkeeper/Contracts & Grants Administrator
The Bicycle Coalition of Maine is looking for a highly motivated individual who shares our values and vision to fill a new 20 hour per week position to manage all aspects of the financial management of our growing organization. Located in Portland, Maine, with a $1.3 million budget and a 10 person staff, the Coalition has been working to make Maine better for bicycling since 1992. We are a dynamic not-for-profit organization that is looking for an individual who can provide accurate recordkeeping of all financial transactions, prepare financial data in a usable format, manage and allocate funds from a variety of contracts and grants and work effectively in a collaborative team environment.
General Accounting and Bookkeeping (50%)
- Perform all accounting functions, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, General Ledger entry and review, journal entries, account reconciliations (including monthly bank reconciliations) and chart of accounts maintenance.
- Responsible for cash management and transfers.
- Responsible for cash receipts and oversight of bank deposits.
- Maintain an orderly accounting filing system.
- Prepare monthly financial statements and supporting analysis.
- Responsible for all year-end processing (including 1099 preparation), journal entries and closing.
- Coordinate with accounting firm in preparation of annual financial statements and tax return (form 990); prepare any required reporting or tax worksheets.
Contract and Grant Administration (20%)
- Develop database to track grants and contracts, and to ensure accurate accounting and reporting procedures.
- Prepare monthly contract invoices and compile all required supporting information.
- Responsible for basic administration of contracts, including follow-up on contract accounts receivable.
- Monitor contract and grant budgets and provide monthly budget to actual reports for program managers.
- Assist in development of new contractand grant
- Ensure compliance with all foundation, local, state, and funding reporting requirements.
- Communicate with and serve as resource to staff in resolution of contract and grant needs and issues.
Payroll and Human Resources (10%)
- Oversee bi-weekly timesheet process.
- Provide time reports and analysis using Harvest time-tracking software.
- Calculate and produce bi-monthly payroll.
- Oversee BCM employee benefits program, including vacation accruals.
General Finance and Operations (20%)
- Help prepare and maintain the annual budget.
- Calculate variances from the budget and report significant issues to management.
- Oversee BCM insurance program
- Research and make recommendations for cost savings.
- Provide financial and administrative support to management as requested.
The Bookkeeper/Contract & Grants Administrator candidate should have, at minimum, an Associate’s degree in accounting or business administration, as well as at least 3 years of progressively responsible experience in bookkeeping, accounting and financial administration. Not-for- profit accounting experience is a plus. Candidate must have demonstrated proficiency with QuickBooks (preferably the on-line version), MS Office, especially Excel, and Google applications.
Candidate must be a self-starter and will be expected to identify and develop systems and strategies to optimize bookkeeping, accounting and contracts and grants administration. BCM looks for team-spirited people with outgoing and friendly personalities, demonstrated professionalism and tact in communications with a diversity of individuals, strong organizational and time management skills, excellent attention to detail and an interest in bicycling and or/pedestrian activities and issues.
Supervisor: Executive Director
Salary: based on education and experience
To apply, please submit cover letter, resume and a list of 3 references, including contact information, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline to apply is April 8, 2015 at 5:00pm EST.
The Bicycle Coalition of Maine is an Equal Opportunity employer and values diversity in the workplace.