Bicycle Coalition of Maine 5/15/15
May 15th, 2016 06:00am | Duration: 25:52
Nancy Grant joins us from the Bicycle Coalition of Maine, to chat about the growing presence of bicycles on our roadways, group rides, bicycle tourism, bike swaps and several other bicycle and pedestrian related concerns. www.bikemaine.org
Click here to listen.
Outdoor Recreation Supervisor
Bureau of Parks and Lands
124 State House Station
Augusta, Maine 04333
Dear Mr. Beck,
On behalf of the Bicycle Coalition of Maine, I am writing to support the Rumford/Mexico Active Community Environment (ACE) Team’s application for Recreational Trail Program funding to build a bridge over the Swift River. We have been involved with local active transportation and recreation efforts throughout Oxford County, including in Rumford/Mexico, since October 2012 and we have long-standing, trusted relationships with a number of members of the ACE Team.
The proposed bridge will connect a residential neighborhood near Mexico’s downtown with the Swift River Walking Trail, Hosmer Athletic Complex, and Mountain Valley High School in Rumford. This will create a valuable link for biking and walking between the two towns. It will welcome and invite more high school students to walk or bike to school and keep them safer. It could encourage more use of the many fields and playing courts at the athletic complex and the popular walking trail, leveraging the value of those assets to the community.
As you know, Oxford County struggles with low physical activity rates, which are linked with low access to physical activity resources. Projects like the Swift River Bridge will increase the access to walking and biking facilities in the area that will help improve health and wellness in the region. This project will support biking and walking as healthy behaviors for all community members, and especially for high school students who could build physical activity into their daily schedules with an active commute.
As Advocacy Manager at the Bicycle Coalition of Maine, I am committed to helping promote the Swift River Bridge project through our website and social media outlets to our members and supporters in order to increase awareness and use of the bridge.
Thank you very much for considering this proposal for RTP funding from the Rumford/Mexico Active Community Environment Team. The Bicycle Coalition of Maine supports the proposal and believes it will significantly benefit the local community and the overall health and well-being of the people of Oxford County.
May is National Bike Month! We’ll be celebrating all over the state with a number of events.
National Bike to School Day on May 4th. Register your event with the Maine Safe Routes to School Program to get promotional materials and incentives to support your event. Here is a list of bike/walk to school events happening in May:
- Auburn, The Walton School – Walk to School Day on May 4
- Bangor, The Downeast School – Daily Walking School Bus to school starting April 25
- Brunswick – Harriet Beecher Stowe Elementary School – Monthly Walk & Bike to School Days through the year
- Cape Elizabeth – Pond Cove Elementary School – National Bike to School Day event on May 4
- Ellsworth Elementary Middle School – K-12 Walk to School Day on May 4, Bike Rodeo in May & daily Walking School Bus on one route to school
- Gorham, Village Elementary School – Walk to School Wednesdays
- Lewiston – Geiger Elementary School – Bike to School Day on May 4
- Norway, Guy E. Rowe Elementary School – Daily Walking School Bus on one route to school
- Portland, East End Community School – Daily Walking School Bus on two routes to school
- Scarborough Middle School – Bike & Walk to School Day on May 4
- South Portland, Memorial Middle School – Walk & Bike to School Day on May 4
- Topsham – Woodside Elementary School – Holding weekly Walk & Bike to School Days on Thursdays this spring; All-School Walking School Bus on June 2
- Warren Community School – Walk to School Fridays this Spring
- York, Village Elementary – Weekly Walk to School Days on Wednesdays all spring
A number of bicycle education rodeos will be taking place in May.
- 5/7 (rain 5/14), Bangor (10-noon) – Walk and Roll @ Unlimited Solutions Clubhouse
- 5/14/2016, Ellsworth – Ellsworth Elementary Middle School
- 5/15/2016, Lewiston & New Gloucester (10-12 & 2-4) – Dempsey Challenge @ Norway Savings Bank Arena & Pineland YMCA
- 5/21/2016, Waterville (9-11am) – South End Neighborhood Association
- 5/21/2016, Guilford (10-noon) – Guilford Elementary School
- 5/22/2016, Portland (11-1pm) – Ocean Avenue Elementary School
- 5/28/2016, Deer Isle (2-4pm) – Deer Isle Stonington Elementary School
- 5/28/2016, South Portland (10-noon) – Kaler Elementary School