How do I find the right bike for me?
When choosing your bike, please bear in mind the Swap is a consignment-style sale. These are used bikes, and the price of the bike and information provided on the tag is from the seller of the bicycle. In addition, the Bicycle Coalition of Maine cannot guarantee the condition of the bicycles, and all bikes sales are final.
Please read this Buyers Guide to answer your questions.
- Think about what kind of bike you are looking for and the kind of riding you’d like to do. Will you be commuting or getting around town? Mountain or trail riding? Road riding or touring? Volunteers at the Swap can help you find what you are looking for!
- Where to start? Bicycles are arranged in categories by type of bike (mountain, road, kids, etc.); look for the large floor signs to find the type of bike you are looking for.
- Consult a volunteer Bike Fit Advisor (walking the sales floor), test ride your bike, and get a mechanical check. We provide these services to help ensure your new bicycle is just right for you.
- If you cannot find your dream bike on the racks, keep in mind that some bikes are in the test ride area being tested out by other buyers.
- Please be mindful of other shoppers whilst considering your purchase or test riding. Make bikes that you are not buying available to others ASAP.
- The Kids’ Bikes and Bargain Bikes section is located outside (shine) or in the Woodbury Campus Center (rain). The Bargain Bike Section is for anyone looking to buy a bike under $50. There is a separate admissions line for that section to make it easy for folks only shopping for kids’ and bargain bikes. Please keep in mind that these bicycles may have been priced very low due to their need of a lot of mechanical work, but some might just be a great deal!