Metropolitan planning organizations (MPO) play a critical role in the transportation planning process. They work with communities, mass transit providers and the Maine Department of Transportation to plan and program transportation projects that serve Maine’s major population centers. MPO’s provide continuing, cooperative and comprehensive transportation planning process in the four large, urban areas in Maine. In Maine, MPOs share responsibility with the Maine Department of Transportation (MaineDOT) and mass transit providers for making transportation investments in urban areas with core populations of at least 50,000.
MPO’s are a very important ally and source of information for local advocates of better biking and walking. They can help answer questions about planning, transportation construction projects, funding sources, and much more. Be in touch with them. If you live in a community that is not part of an MPO, find your local Regional Planning Organization (RPO) for planning assistance.
MPO’s in Maine:
- Director: Jennifer Williams, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Address: 125 Manley Road Auburn, ME 04210
- Phone: (207) 783-9186
- Metropolitan planning area: Auburn, Lewiston, Lisbon and a portion of Sabattus.
- Address: Director: Rob Kenerson, E-mail: email@example.com
- 40 Harlow Street Bangor, ME 04401
- Phone: (207) 942-6389 or (800) 339-6389
- Metropolitan planning area: Bangor, Brewer, Veazie and portions of Hampden, Orono, Old Town, Milford, Bradley, Eddington, Orrington, and the Penobscot Nation.
- Director: Tom Reinauer, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Address: 21 Bradeen Street Springvale, ME 04083
- Phone: (207) 324-2952
- Metropolitan planning area: KACTS comprises the Maine portion of a larger urbanized area primarily in New Hampshire. The MPO covers potions of Kittery, Eliot, Berwick, South Berwick, and Lebanon.
- Senior Planner: Paul Niehoff, E-mail: email@example.com
- Address: 68 Marginal Way Portland, ME 04101
- Phone: (207) 774-9891
- Metropolitan planning area: Portland, South Portland, Cape Elizabeth and Westbrook, along with portions of Freeport, Yarmouth, North Yarmouth, Cumberland, Falmouth, Windham, Gorham, Scarborough, Old Orchard Beach, Biddeford and Saco.