Bicycle Coalition of Maine – Summer 2014 Internship
BikeMaine Event Management Assistant
The summer intern’s primary duties will be in support of managing and marketing the Bicycle Coalition of Maine’s weeklong, 400-mile mass bicycle ride from September 6-13, 2014. BikeMaine, designed to be “a rolling celebration of Maine,” uses a different cycle route each September to explore the inland and coastal regions of the state, with riders camping in a designated host community each of 7 nights. The ride is capped at 350 participants. For more information about the event, please check out BikeMaine on the Coalition website ride.bikemaine.org.
- Updating event information on BikeMaine website
- Promoting event through Facebook and Twitter, website, email, posters and brochure distribution
- Attending Ride Committee meetings
- Helping to organize and communicate with volunteers
- Assisting with event details in host communities
- Purchasing supplies, checking inventory
- Identifying and ordering merchandise to be sold during event
- Assisting with communications to vendors, partners and sponsors
- Updating post-event evaluation surveys for participants, volunteers, host community members, and sponsors
- Drafting communications with registered participants and media
- Creating template and articles for BikeMaine newspaper (The ideal candidate would have a strong interest in writing and researching host communities’ history.)
The intern will also help with office administration tasks as needed:
- Answering phone calls from registered riders and troubleshooting with problems
- Processing and organizing requests for information
- Data entry and database updates
The intern will be exposed to all aspects of event management for a weeklong ride!
Internship compensation: The Bicycle Coalition of Maine is unable to offer compensation for this internship, but we encourage you to investigate what funding opportunities your school provides to students completing unpaid summer internships.
Time period: The intern would ideally be able to work the BikeMaine event from September 6-13, 2014, at the end of his/her internship. Therefore, preference will be given to candidates who can complete the internship from mid-July to mid-September. Students on a trimester academic schedule are strongly encouraged to apply!
Hours of work: 30-40 hours/week, and flexibility with daily hours (must be between 8:30am-5:00pm). During the BikeMaine event, hours are longer.
Location: Bicycle Coalition of Maine headquarters: 34 Preble St., Portland, ME
To apply: Please send cover letter and resume to Liz Hall, firstname.lastname@example.org, by April 4, 2014. Candidates will be interviewed in April 2014.
The Bicycle Coalition of Maine is a non-profit, statewide advocacy and education organization working to make Maine better for bicycling. We work at the local, state and federal levels in support of bike friendly laws, policy and infrastructure. We run programs that teach bike safety in the schools, the workplace, the community and to law enforcement. We also run the Safe Routes to School Program which encourages more kids to bike and walk to school. Finally, we promote bicycling for recreation, fitness, transportation and fun and run 5 events during the spring and summer.