Bicycle Coalition of Maine – Summer 2014 Internship
Event Management Assistant
The summer intern’s primary duties will be in support of managing and marketing our two signature summer events: the Maine Women’s Ride on June 1st in Freeport, and the Lobster Ride & Roll on July 20th in Rockland. Following the completion of duties with these two events, the summer intern will then do special projects and assist with the support of the Coalition’s weeklong event, BikeMaine, in September. These events are major fund raisers for the Coalition and essential to our operating budget.
- Writing and updating all event information, including related merchandise, on the Coalition’s web site
- Promoting events through Facebook and Twitter, website, email, posters and brochure distribution
- Organizing and communicating with volunteers before, during and after event
- Preparing for, setting up and breaking down events
- Working both events (on weekends)
- Purchasing supplies, checking inventory and selling merchandise
- Implementing post-event evaluation surveys to participants and coordinating all event feedback
- Communicating with and recognizing/thanking sponsors
The intern will also help with office administration tasks as needed:
- Updating website
- Answering phone calls from members, vendors, partners.
- Processing and organizing requests for presentations and training.
- Data entry and database updates
- Help with office mailings
- Support to other Bicycle Coalition of Maine programs
The intern will be exposed to all aspects of running a non-profit and if interested, can identify other areas of interest in which (s)he wants to work.
Internship compensation: The Bicycle Coalition of Maine is unable to offer compensation for this internship, but we encourage you to investigate what funding opportunities your school provides to students completing unpaid summer internships.
Time period: The ideal candidate would be able to begin the internship on May 12, and complete the internship in early August.
Hours of work: 30-40 hours/week, and flexibility with daily hours (must be between 8:30am-5:00pm). Two weekends (May 31-June 1 and July 19-20)
Location: Bicycle Coalition of Maine headquarters: 34 Preble St., Portland, ME
To apply: Please send cover letter and resume to Liz Hall, email@example.com, by April 4, 2014. Candidates will be interviewed in April 2014.
The Bicycle Coalition of Maine is a non-profit, state-wide advocacy and education organization working to make Maine better for bicycling. We work at the local, state and federal levels in support of bike friendly laws, policy and infrastructure. We run programs that teach bike safety in the schools, the workplace, the community and to law enforcement. We also run the Safe Routes to School Program which encourages more kids to bike and walk to school. Finally, we promote bicycling for recreation, fitness, transportation and fun and run 5 events during the spring and summer.