The Maine Walking School Bus (WSB) Program worked with nine different elementary schools over five years to help them start and run daily WSBs. We learned a few things along the way – check out the Lessons Learned here!
Hundreds of Maine school children will walk or bike to school with family members, school staff and volunteers in celebration of National Walk to School Day on October 10th. Organized events are planned at schools across the state throughout October, which is National Walk to School Month.
The Maine Safe Route to School Program can support your event(s) with event announcement posters, walking school bus posters, and incentive stickers. To request these, please register your event here.
Here are the Maine schools that have planned Walk & Bike to School activities this fall:
- Auburn, Walton School
- Bangor, Downeast School
- Bangor, Vine Street School
- Brunswick, Coffin School
- Brunswick, Harriet Beecher Stowe Elementary School
- Camden-Rockport Middle School
- Eagle Lake Elementary / Jr High School
- Fort Kent Elementary School
- Fort Kent, Valley Rivers Middle School
- Fort Kent Community High School
- Howland, Hichborn Middle School
- Kingfield Elementary School
- Lewiston, Geiger Elementary
- North Anson, Carrabec Community School
- Norway, Guy E. Rowe Elementary School
- Portland, East End Community School
- Portland, Harrison Lyseth Elementary School
- Portland, Lincoln Middle School
- Portland, Lyseth Elementary School
- Saint Francis Elementary School
- South Portland, Memorial Middle School
- Wallagrass Elementary School
- Waterville, Albert S. Hall School
- York, Village Elementary School
We hope to see you walking or biking to school this season!