This position is no longer accepting applications. Thank you for applying.
1099 Contract Position, approximately 400 hours/year
Hourly rate $20 (up to $8,000/year)
Now heading into its 8th year, BikeMaine is a weeklong, 450-person bicycle ride that showcases Maine’s people, places, culture and food. An event of the Bicycle Coalition of Maine, BikeMaine travels to new communities every year.
The BikeMaine Volunteer Coordinator is an integral member of the BikeMaine event management team. The 8-day event requires 65-70 weeklong volunteers whose roles serve essential functions for the event operations. The Volunteer Coordinator is responsible for coordinating all aspects of the volunteer experience and serving as the volunteers’ primary point of contact before, during, and after the event, including recruiting, on-boarding, communicating with, training, scheduling, and troubleshooting volunteer issues as they arise.
The Volunteer Coordinator strives to provide an exceptional volunteer experience for all weeklong volunteers by being a welcoming, friendly resource, and by keeping volunteers informed and equipped for their event duties. The BikeMaine event would not be possible without its weeklong volunteers, and the volunteer coordinator ensures that the ride’s most valuable resource– it’s manpower– is cared for and prepared for a fun and active week.
- Recruit weeklong volunteers for all required roles as determined by the Ride Director and Event Coordinator, including:
- Pre-event volunteers
- Weeklong volunteers
- Post-event volunteers
- Communicate regularly with enlisted volunteers to obtain all required documentation
- Conduct background checks on all volunteers.
- Coordinate volunteer-related logistical details during the BikeMaine event, including:
- Volunteer lunches
- Volunteer Appreciation Dinner
- Volunteer thank you gift
- Volunteer lodging
- Maintain all print and digital volunteer resources, including volunteer forms, handbook, webpages, sign-up forms, and volunteer needs survey.
- Prepare all materials that volunteers will need for the week of BikeMaine, including the assembly of BikeMaine volunteer binders.
- Assign volunteers to volunteer roles as appropriate for their skills and abilities.
- Partner with the Katahdin High School Tent & Porter team leader(s) to:
- Maintain the Tent & Porter procedures manual
- Manage the team logistics (food, transportation, entertainment, etc.)
- Schedule volunteers for their daily duties throughout the week of BikeMaine.
- Schedule flaggers and route support (may be daylong volunteers), and provide them with needed instruction and materials.
- With the help of the BikeMaine Ride Director and Event Coordinator, design and coordinate Volunteer Orientation.
- During the event, serve as the BikeMaine Village Breakdown Captain, and informally check in with each volunteer daily.
- Consult with Ride Director on how best to incorporate prior year volunteer survey feedback into current year improvements.
- Update documentation of BikeMaine volunteer management annual processes.
- Manage additional logistics pertaining to volunteer coordination as they arise.
Successful candidates will have the following background, personality traits, and skills:
- Proven organizational skills and practices
- Self-starter, i.e. one who can work independently to accomplish job responsibilities and duties
- Energetic people-person
- Proven ability to juggle many details and logistics while remaining calm and organized during stressful situations.
- Event management experience preferred
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Desire to spend 9 days camping with 500+ people
- Proficient technological skills, including experience using Google Suite and Microsoft Office suite (essential); project tracking software and customer relationship management databases (bonus!)
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience required