Maine residents throughout the state should have access to safe places to bike and walk for work, school, recreation, or transportation. Currently, many people report that they do not feel safe walking and biking on Maine’s roadways. By providing more facilities for active transportation (powered by human energy, primarily walking and bicycling), we can make every street safer for all users, reduce pollution and carbon emissions, and create vibrant communities.
The Bicycle Coalition of Maine (BCM) invites all candidates for elected office to share their position on issues related to making Maine a better and safer place to bike and walk. All answers will be made public so voters can better understand their positions on active transportation.
Candidates: Please take this 5-10 minute survey on active transportation.
Maine residents: Ask your candidates to fill out the survey!
- Find your candidates:
- From this page, click on List of Candidates Qualified for General Election Ballot. An excel file will download. You can search by your town or district. This list only includes elections overseen by the secretary of state and not local positions. We recommend contacting your candidates for state senate and state representative. The BCM is reaching out to the gubernatorial candidates. GV=Governor; CG=Congress; SS=State Senate; SR= State Representative.
- Your town website may have information available on candidates running for local office.
- Contact your candidates: Google search your candidate’s name, city, and/or district to find a website, Facebook, Twitter, or other social media account—or look for candidate signs in your neighborhood! Use the sample text below to send an email or post on their social media page(s).
- Register to vote: There is no deadline to register for in-person voting. If you want to register by mail, the deadline is October 18, 2022. Register using this link.
- Want to request an absentee ballot? Click here.
Reminder: Maine uses ranked choice voting for state legislative primaries and federal elections. It does not apply to governor or state legislators in the general election. Learn more here.
Sample email/social media post:
I want everyone in my community to have access to safe places to bike and walk for work, school, recreation, and transportation. Currently, many people report that they do not feel safe walking and biking on many of Maine’s roadways. By providing more active transportation (bicycle and pedestrian) facilities, we can make every street safer for all users, reduce pollution and carbon emissions, and create vibrant communities.
How will you support active transportation? Please take a few minutes to complete a survey from the Bicycle Coalition of Maine to share your position on issues related to making Maine a better and safer place to bike and walk: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfD4zFMNtmC0TEbvnYU_dj6BwxPEL8rnpOEkAPcb5PdopcdvQ/viewform