Hundreds of Maine school children will bike or walk to school with family members, school staff and volunteers in celebration of National Bike to School Day on May 8th. Organized events were planned at schools across the state throughout May, which is always National Bike Month.
The Maine Safe Route to School Program can support your event(s) with event announcement posters, walking school bus posters, and incentive stickers. Request promo materials for your event here.
Participants kicked off last year’s ride in record breaking numbers! Thousands of students pedaled their way to school during the 2018 Bike to School Day celebration! Over 3,200 schools across the country, from Maine to Hawaii participated. Register your school in the national database to join the thousands and remember to share your event plans and photos with #BiketoSchoolDay!
Here are the Maine schools that have submitted 2019 Walk & Bike to School activities:
- Baileyville, Woodland ES – Bike/Walk to School Week May 28-31
- Bangor, Abraham Lincoln School – Daily Walking School Bus
- Bangor, Downeast School – Daily Walking School Bus
- Bangor, Vine Street School – Daily Walking School Bus
- Brunswick, Coffin ES – Monthly Bike or Walk to School
- Brunswick, Harriet Beecher Stowe ES – Bike or Walk to School on April 26, May 17, June 7
- Camden, Camden Rockport MS – Bike or Walk To School Day in spring
- Cape Elizabeth, Pond Cove School – Bike or Walk to School Day on May 8
- Eliot Elementary School – Weekly Walk to School Day on Wednesdays this spring
- Fort Kent, MSAD27, Bike or Walk to School Days every Wednesday this spring
- Gray, Gray Recreation Department – Bike or Walk to School Day on May 8
- Gray, Gray-New Gloucester MS – Bike or Walk To School Day on May 8
- Lewiston, Geiger ES – Bike to School Day on May 8
- North Anson, Carrabec Community School – Walk to School Day on May 8
- Norway, Guy E. Rowe School – Daily Walking School Bus
- Portland, Lincoln MS – Bike or Walk To School Day on May 8
- Rangeley Lakes Regional School – Bike to School on May 8; Walk to School Days in May and June
- Scarborough, Pleasant Hill School -Bike to School on May 8
- South Portland, Memorial MS – Bike to School on May 8
- Waterville, Albert S Hall School – The Spring BIG walk to school in May
- Yarmouth ES – Walk or Bike to School Day this spring
- York, Village ES – Walk to school every Wednesday starting in April
Would you like to enhance student walking & biking safety? Please contact us about setting up a Safe Walker and Safe Bicycle Driver educational activity at your school. We can send an available safety instructor or train you to be the safety expert! Submit your request here: request.mainebpse.org
We hope to see you walking or biking to school this season!