Community Spokes Program
The Community Spokes Program is the Bicycle Coalition of Maine’s effort to create a statewide network of bicycle and pedestrian advocates at the local level. We empower residents to become champions – Community Spokes – of better biking and walking in their cities and towns. Through advocacy training, education, and ongoing technical support, become part of a growing coalition of people working to improve biking and walking conditions in Maine.
To become a Community Spoke and lead your community to a better quality of life, please consider taking the Community Spokes Training. It is a day long training starting at 8:30am and finishing by 4:00pm. Morning coffee and lunch will be provided.
Who are Community Spokes?
- People who believe that biking and walking brings economic, transportation, health and environmental benefits to individuals, communities and the state.
- Residents or organizations who want to get more involved in making their community more bike/ped-friendly but aren’t sure where to start, how to navigate the local bureaucracy, or who else is willing to help. See a map of the Community Spokes around the state here!
What do Community Spokes do?
- Provide a voice for bicycle and pedestrian interests at public meetings and events.
- Learn from and support their fellow Spokes around the state.
- Work with neighbors and decision-makers to promote bike/ped infrastructure, policies, and programs.
What does the Bicycle Coalition of Maine provide for Community Spokes?
- Ongoing assistance to Spokes and their committees in the form of trainings, communications, administration, strategic advocacy, and more.
- Online Advocacy Toolkit and numerous other resources for effective advocacy work in Maine.
- One all-day training, regional advocacy events, and webinars throughout the year.
- Connection to other trained Spokes for information and skill sharing.
- BCM membership and outreach and educational materials for use at community events.
Optional Callout Bar
Explanation of optional callout bar. Explanation of optional callout bar. Explanation of optional callout bar.
This is an H2 Title