Bikes for All Mainers
The Bikes for All Mainers Program, formerly the Bikes for New Mainers Program, is a partnership between the Bicycle Coalition of Maine, the Portland Gear Hub, and the MaineDOT. The program is designed to provide an opportunity for adults who do not have financial access to bikes, are undocumented or recent American immigrants, or live in communities under served by public transportation to acquire basic bicycle mechanic skills, learn to bicycle safely on Maine roadways, volunteer in their communities, and overcome some of their transportation challenges.
The program is open to anyone 18 or older who is interested in completing the following program requirements:
- Attend and pass a bicycle skill test to demonstrate ability to ride a bicycle before the program begins. YOU MUST BE ABLE TO SAFELY RIDE A BICYCLE TO PARTICIPATE IN THE BIKES FOR ALL MAINERS PROGRAM.
- Attend two Bikes for All Mainers Mechanic courses (offered twice/month from 9am-12pm at Portland Gear Hub)
- Attend two Bikes for All Mainers Traffic Skill courses (offered twice/month from 9am-12pm near Portland Gear Hub)
- Volunteer 4 hours at the Portland Gear Hub, the Bicycle Coalition of Maine, or a pre-approved organization
- Pay a sliding scale fee of $25-50 or submit a Fee Waiver request form
All program requirements should be completed in a one-month period. Failure to complete ALL requirements within a timely manner will result in participant being dropped from the program and needing to re-apply.
Participants who complete the program will earn:
- A fully functional refurbished bicycle
- Helmet, lock, lights, and saddle bag filled with tools and accessories
- Training on maintaining a bicycle, safe bicycle riding practices, and using accessories
Classes for 2018 are filled. We will announce the schedule for 2019 when becomes available.
Need more info? Contact Ainsley Judge at email@example.com or call the Portland Gear Hub at 207-761-7632.
Public Service Announcements
For More Information
Darcy Whittemore, Central & Western Maine Region
Shannon Belt, Southern Maine Region
Erik daSilva, Eastern & Northern Maine Region
Maine Bicycle & Pedestrian Education Program
MaineDOT Bicycle and Pedestrian Program
Optional Callout Bar
Explanation of optional callout bar. Explanation of optional callout bar. Explanation of optional callout bar.
Bike Maine Swap 2018