Community Advocacy Coordinator
The Bicycle Coalition of Maine (BCM) is seeking a dynamic, self-directed individual to provide assistance coordinating and expanding our nationally recognized Community Spokes Program. The Community Spokes Program mobilizes, trains, and supports local residents who are interested in becoming community leaders for bicycle, pedestrian, and active transportation issues. Community Spokes become the core of bike/ped committees and Active Community Environment (ACE) Teams around the state.
This position will be responsible for:
- Coordinating ongoing support and technical assistance on bike/ped initiatives to Community Spokes and their ACE Teams through trainings, regional meetings, “mutual aid” conference calls, and regular phone and in-person meetings.
- Recruiting new Community Spokes, assisting in their training, and helping them launch community-based committees.
- Integrating Community Spoke initiatives with other BCM projects and programs, including events, the Maine Bicycle and Pedestrian Safety Education Program and the Safe Routes to School Program.
- Handling all logistics and assisting in the facilitation of at least two one-day trainings per year.
- Developing resources and managing content for the BCM Community Spokes webpage, as well as for print and third party hosting.
- Developing an evaluation system for the program.
- Other duties as needed related to local bike/ped advocacy.
The ideal candidate will have experience in community organization and mobilization; meeting facilitation; bike/ped/trail programming, transportation policy and infrastructure projects; bicycle and pedestrian education; public health efforts to promote physical activity; and will be comfortable working with technology. Some night meetings and weekends required. Some statewide travel required. Health benefits available. Salaried, exempt position. $35K range.
Please send cover letter, resume and list of 3 references to email@example.com by May 15th.