- Create safer bicycling conditions
- Increase funding for bike trails, bike lanes and other biking facilities
- Advocate for laws that ensure cyclists’ rights and delineate the responsibility of all users to share the road
- Open up access for mountain biking
- Enact policies such as shoulder paving that will make for better biking conditions
- Promote biking for our environment, economy and health
The Bicycle Coalition’s advocacy has played a key role in passage of some of the most bike-friendly laws in the country, including a requirement that drivers give at least three feet of clearance when passing cyclists. During the 2011 session of the Maine Legislature, the coalition supported passage of a law prohibiting texting while driving and we successfully opposed a bill that would have placed a 2 percent surcharge on retail bicycle sales.
The Bicycle Coalition’s Community Spokes program trains local advocates to work in their communities to improve biking and walking. Our e-updates notify members about opportunities to speak out for bicycling in their communities and at the legislature.
We also keep members updated on national biking issues: