Do you want to join the movement for safer streets for people walking and riding bikes? Do you want to help educate the next generation of road users how to share the roads safely? A statewide education and advocacy non-profit, the Bicycle Coalition of Maine is dedicated to making Maine a better and safer place to bike and walk. Working with partners and advocates across Maine, we seek to change policy, improve road design, and educate adults and kids how to use the roads safely, legally, and courteously.
The Bicycle Coalition of Maine is an equal opportunity employer, committed to growing a diverse staff. We strongly encourage application from candidates of all racial and ethnic backgrounds, genders/gender identities, sexual orientations, and religions. In addition, candidates will be considered for employment without regard to race, ancestry or national origin, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
The Community Organizer is responsible for engaging BCM members, supporters, and stakeholders across Maine in our programs and activities. They will conceive of and implement strategic efforts to mobilize BCM members, partner organizations, and others in our mission to make Maine a better and safer place to bike and walk. This position will write and send regular email communications to BCM supporters; represent BCM at conferences and other forums; recruit, cultivate, and engage a growingly diverse network; and build connections with strategic partners. Working closely with the Advocacy Manager, they will inspire and support our statewide network of Community Spokes.
If you meet some but not all of the desired qualifications, we encourage you to apply. We are open to a diverse set of experience, knowledge and skills to fill this role and will commit to training to fill around areas of growth.
Roles and Responsibilities:
General Outreach and Communications
- Develop and execute campaigns to engage and inspire BCM supporters in our advocacy and education work
- Conceive of and support new communication strategies and activities that attract a diverse network of members and supporters, reach key audiences, and garner visibility for the organization and its mission
- Write and send regular organizational e-newsletters, action alerts, policy updates, and other programmatic communication
- Create content for campaigns, such as web content, fact sheets, visuals, and organizational letters to decision-makers
- Speak at public meetings, hearings, conferences and other events on behalf of the BCM
- Represent BCM in the media
- Build relationships with partners organizations, bike/ped committees, public health experts, climate action advocates, and other stakeholders to expand our network of allies and partners
- Represent the BCM on committees, task forces, and coalitions
- Support efforts to educate and lobby elected officials at the local, state, and national level
- With Advocacy Manager, provide support and guidance for members to take action locally
- Help recruit and train new members
- Help conduct annual survey and evaluation
- Conceive of and implement efforts to keep Spokes engaged, excited to continue efforts, and network with each other
Qualifications and Experience:
- 3-5 years experience in community organizing, campaign coordination, and coalition building
- Familiarity with active transportation planning, Complete Streets, and transportation advocacy, or very motivated to learn
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with media and interviewing preferred
- Commitment to improving conditions for people biking and walking
- Experience with Microsoft Office and Google Suite
- Strong organizational skills and ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to lead, work as part of a team, and work independently
- Valid driver’s license, with a car you are willing and able to drive for work
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends
Additional Job Information
Job Type: Full-time
Location: Flexible, must be able and willing to travel around Maine
How to apply: Please submit a letter of interest and your resume to email@example.com.
Application Deadline: December 20, 2022